Pesto, Feta and Veggie Bacon Stuffed Peppers
These Mediterranean-style stuffed peppers are such a hit, and a delicious choice for a lighter lunch. Filled with a sage-infused, cheesy and salty pesto mix, they will transport you to a dreamy Italian island with their gorgeous colour and flavour!
- 3 red peppers, halved and de-seeded
- 60g giant couscous
- 18 cherry tomatoes
- 4 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 80g broad beans
- 6 rashers of veggie bacon
- 50g feta cheese, chopped
- 2 tbsp basil pesto
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 pinch of dried oregano
- 1 pinch of dried basil
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (I LOVE to use sun-dried tomato oil!)
- Preheat an oven to 220°C / Fan 200°C / Gas Mark 7 and put a saucepan of water on to boil.
- Place the halved peppers into a large baking dish, brush over with a tablespoon of the oil and a sprinkling of salt, pepper and dried basil. Cook in the oven for roughly 10 minutes until slightly roasted and browned.
- In a small bowl, mix the garlic, dried oregano and remaining oil with some salt and pepper and mix together. Then drizzle this mixture over the cherry tomatoes and gently mix, making sure each tomato is covered with the marinade. Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes until the tomatoes have browned slightly, and their skin has turned slightly wrinkly.
- Once the water has boiled, add the giant couscous, the chopped sage leaves, the broad beans and a pinch of salt and leave to cook for 8 minutes until cooked. (Both the giant couscous and broad beans should be tender, but not mushy!)
- Whilst the giant couscous is cooking, chop the rashers of bacon into small cubes and gently fry until crispy and browned.
- In another bowl, combine the pesto, bacon pieces, pine nuts, giant couscous, sage leaves, broad beans and feta cheese together and make sure everything is thoroughly mixed. Spoon the mixture into the halved peppers and gently place the cooked tomatoes on top. Place the peppers back in the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes until everything is hot and the feta cheese has ever-so slightly melted.
- Serve immediately! (I love to serve these peppers with a fresh Italian-style salad, but you can add a side of whatever you like.)