Halloumi and Souvlaki Chicken Gyros with Sweet Potato Fries
A fantastically fragrant and colourful gyros stuffed with deliciousness - halloumi, souvlaki chicken and roasted vegetables finished with homemade tzatziki and sweet potato fries. What more could you want?
- 1 Sweet Potato, chopped into chips
- 1 sprit fresh rosemary (or 1 tbsp dried rosemary)
- 1 red pepper, cut into thick strips
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 5 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 cucumber, grated
- 2 Meatless Farm Chicken Breasts (or Veggie Chicken Pieces if you prefer)
- 300g greek yoghurt
- 400g halloumi
- Handful fresh rocket
- 2 Greek Flatbreads
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / Fan Setting 170°C / 356°F / Gas Mark 4.
- Place the sweet potato fries on a large baking tray and drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Sprinkle over the fresh rosemary and season with salt and pepper, and place in the oven to bake for roughly 35-45 minutes, to until the chips have cooked and browned slightly.
- Place the veggie chicken breasts on a smaller baking tray and place in the oven to cook for 25 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the smoked paprika, dried oregano, 2 cloves of chopped garlic, lemon juice and 2 tbsp of olive oil until everything is fully combined. Mix in the pepper strips and sliced red onion and cook in some olive oil until the vegetables have softened and caramelised.
- In another mixing bowl, stir together the grated cucumber, the remaining chopped garlic and olive oil and greek yoghurt and season with salt and pepper (I often tend to include plenty of both).
- Add the slices of halloumi to the sweet potato fries and cook for a further 5-10 until the halloumi has turned golden brown around the edges.
- Warm the flatbreads in the oven for a couple of minutes and then place on a large plate. Layer the fresh rocket, the souvlaki vegetables, the chicken breast and the halloumi and fold the bottom of the flatbread together to form a gyros (you may need to wrap the bottom with some greaseproof paper if you wish). Drizzle the fresh tzatziki over and serve with the sweet potato fries.